Monday 14 September 2009

The longest night......?

Falmouth, 2nd September. 6.30 PM.

Captain Richard has set the sail time for 7.45pm. The weather will begin at a steady Force 8, gradually increasing to Force 9 as we head out. After that, he told me after the public briefing, it will probably get a bit worse. Maybe Force 10.

“I would have like to have left it another day, when the winds would be better, but that won’t leave enough time to make our schedule…..”

Earlier he showed me how the ship's barometer had plunged below 1,000 millibars...
Meanwhile, many of us are hanging out in the long room, devouring Bart the chef’s delicious dinner of potato wedges, runner beans and fish drizzled in balsamic vinegar.

There is a general atmosphere of excitement, mixed, I think, with large dollops of trepidation. Couldn’t we just wait one more day? As I close up, my mind can’t help itself from turning over the rather dreadful speculation that this could be the longest night of my life…..

No comments:

Post a Comment